Monday, March 15, 2010

New Hymnals, 50 year Anniversary, and Vertigo

Hello all. I trust God has been blessing you in your life, ministry and family. We have been busy here at Old Paths with building, renovating and painting. We are planning on moving our auditorium to where our S.S. class/nursery and fellowship area is. It will allow us to have a useful alter/invitation area, more space for chairs/people, and (most importantly) the bathroom wont be 5 feet from the pulpit. We are very excited with the new look. I'll try to post pics when it is done.

New Hymnals:
When we started Old Paths, we were graciously allowed to use hymn books from Town Center Baptist Church (TCBC). Since then, not only have we grown but also TCBC has grown as well. We need more hymnals and they don't have any to spare...due to growth (a nice problem to have).
This last month we have been looking at almost a dozen different hymnals, trying to find the right one. We have settled with a new hymnal called Bible Truth Hymns (from Bible Truth Publication), and we are so pleased with it...we have simply fallen in love with it.
A good friend and supporter of Old Paths offered to pay for half of them, we took a special offering for the rest and were able to order them the next Monday. God is so good. We now have enough hymnals for 50 people. Thank you Brad.

50 Year Anniversary:
We have an Eighty-nine year old woman in our church who was a missionary for Thirty-four years in South America. She really is still a missionary (as we all are), as she sends a birthday card to everyone in her Mobile Home Park and puts in the card a tract and one of our church brochures.
She announced last Wednesday night that one of her first Indian tribes, where the whole tribe accepted Christ as their Savior, was celebrating 50 years of following Christ. It was such a blessing to her, to us as fellow Christians, and to all the faithful Christians who had a part in her work. Praise God that she is still alive to witness the fruit of her labor. Thank you Lord for our Senior Saints...thank you Lord for their faithfulness and may we learn through their example.

Vertigo:
The worst nightmare of any young or old pastor....I have not been able to preach the last two Sundays. Two Sundays ago, I went to bed late Sat. night with the start of the famous 24 hour flu, and was able to ask my very good friend, Pastor Jerry (from TCBC) to fill in for me. And then last Sunday I woke up so dizzy that I could not make it out of my room without holding on to the wall to stay up. After a few visits to the bathroom (I will spare you the details), I had to make the very difficult decision to not go to church. Instead, I had to go to the ER, where they diagnosed me with vertigo.
I have been blessed with a retired pastor/evangelist in our church, who is 86 years old. He has offered to fill the puplit when needed but could not do too much due to his health. I asked him (ten minutes before S.S.) if he would take over the S.S. lesson, and then they could just go home for the day. He took over the S.S. hour and told the folks that they were already there so they might as well stay there for the morning service and he did it all. He filled a need. In fact all of our men filled needs that day. Delbert even did the song leading. :-)
God has blessed me with men who are willing to fill in the gap. What a blessing. Thank you men.

Please pray for me. I have the same messages that I believe God wants me to preach...and I want to preach them sometime soon. :-)

We are excited with our move and with our new hymnals. We are having our very first evening service at the end of the month: a singspiration to really get to know our new hymnals. We are all looking forward to it.

Thank you for your prayers.

We just want to be a blessing,
Pastor Dan Zike
Old Paths Bible Church

No comments: